About This Author
Mark Enser has been teaching geography in schools for over 14 years. He is also an author, a TES columnist and has contributed articles to the Guardian Teacher Network.
Books by Mark Enser
- Making Every Geography Lesson Count: Six principles to support great geography teaching
- Teach Like Nobody's Watching: The essential guide to effective and efficient teaching
What is This Strategy About?
Ask effective questions to ensure your questioning is deepening learning. It’s not worth asking questions if pupils don’t have the information to answer them.
What are Closed Questions?
Closed questions are those which can be answered with a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer. These types of questions allow teachers to receive information from more than one pupil at a time.
Click here to learn about Quality Questioning.
Choose this strategy if you want to...
- Ensure your questions achieve the desired result
- Help pupils deepen their understanding through questioning
- Check understanding more efficiently
Interested in this strategy?
If you're not already signed up, click here to register for a free account. If you already have an account, click here to choose this strategy as a 6-week initiative. (It only takes 10 minutes to start an initiative!)